When you need waterproofing in your home, call Madison Mold Removal Experts. We have a proven track record in providing top-quality service to the whole community of Madison, WI. We have a team of professionals who are always prompt in answering your concerns with guaranteed customer satisfaction due to our exceptional craftsmanship. We are trained and experienced to help you with all your waterproofing needs so contact us anytime and we’ll gladly assist you.
How does waterproofing work?
It is true that water damage can be very destructive and apparently, an insurance industry study found that 98% of basements in the U.S. will face water damage at some point in their lifetime. Therefore in order to prevent this, your home must be waterproofed.
Waterproofing is an affordable and simple way to protect your home from expensive damage in the future. Not only does it cover basements, but also bathrooms, kitchens, swimming pools, to mention a few.
You may wonder how waterproofing works? The process is done internally or externally.
Interior waterproofing involves a simple method when you see signs of water leaks or cracks. It’s a temporary solution and you can do it on your own using adhesive materials such as sealants as well as dehumidifiers to prevent moisture in the area.
Exterior waterproofing, on the other hand, may require the skill set of a professional, as it involves complex procedures.
Can Plumbers Do Waterproofing?
Plumbers repair water supply and drainage problems and apply waterproofing membrane to exterior foundation walls. However, waterproofing contractors deal with water in a completely different way than plumbers do.
Which is the best waterproofing?
Using modern technology is considered the best method to waterproof your home. The following are the most common waterproofing methods:
- Cement waterproofing – This technique uses cement in laying a strong, water-resistant layer. It is usually applied in areas inside the home such as the bathroom since it doesn’t expand or contract when exposed to heat.
- Elastomeric waterproofing coating – This method uses a special rubbery liquid and is ideal for outdoor waterproofing.
- Bituminous coating – A substance called bitumen is typically used to pave roads but it is also useful in waterproofing. Generally, it’s used on rooftops, but since it brittles when exposed to sunlight, it needs an additional layer of protection such as cement.
- Bituminous membrane – This system is most appropriate for a low-sloped roof because it is highly effective. It comes in two types: torch-on and self-adhesive.
- Polyurethane liquid membrane – It’s the simplest type of waterproofing but it is the most expensive of all methods.
What are waterproofing methods of a concrete wall?
Here are the following methods to waterproof your concrete wall:
- Check your walls for any faults – Before you start waterproofing, always check the wall for any signs of dampness. It could be cracks or moisture from a broken pipe. Once the issue is fixed, a waterproofer can be applied as a preventive measure.
- Make sure your gutters are clean – A clogged gutter may overflow down your walls. In order to prevent this from happening, keep your gutters clean at least twice a year.
- Look for the ideal waterproofer in your home – There are a variety of products that you can use for waterproofer and this includes concrete waterproofing coating, silicate-based concrete sealer, and waterproofing paint.
- Add a plaster waterproofing additive – To make your walls more solid, you can use plastering to protect your walls from moisture.
- Prepare your walls before waterproofing – Bring your walls in good condition before applying waterproofers to be more effective.
- Apply waterproofer – By using a roller brush, coat your wall with a waterproofer, allow it to dry, and apply a second coat.
- Conduct a test – To check for the effectiveness of your waterproofer, test it by spraying water in your wall for a couple of hours.
Does Insurance cover basement waterproofing?
Unfortunately, your homeowner;s insurance policy will not cover much of the cost of waterproofing services.
How much does waterproofing cost?
If you’re a homeowner who’s planning to schedule a waterproofing service, the average cost could range from $2,000 to $6,000