Molds are present in the air, outdoors, and even inside your homes. In short molds are everywhere. You commonly see household molds as slimy black spots in your shower curtain. It may appear as slimy orange films on your kitchen drains or as wooly white patches present on your basement floor. Molds are not only unattractive in your house, but it may also pose a health risk to homeowners. You may wonder, what are the dangers of mold? Here’s what you need to know.
Is it safe to sleep in a room with mold?
Molds grow best in areas in your home such as roofs, windows, and pipes, as these always have moisture. It can also be found in any space where there has been flooding, like basements and crawlspaces. Molds in small amounts are usually harmless, but molds tend to start growing once they land on these damp spots in your home. Sleeping in a room with mold may expose your health to risks, especially if you or one of your family members has a weak immune system. Any exposure to a room filled with mold may result in a variety of health effects such as red, itchy eyes, itchy skin, or sneezing. Some people may have severe reactions if they have allergies to mold or a history of asthma. It is unsafe to sleep in a room with molds. Therefore, you need to address this issue immediately to avoid the risks.
What if you breathe in black mold?
Believe it or not, you can’t find a single type of mold called “black mold”, since all molds are black. When people use the term “black mold”, they often refer to a type of mold called Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum). Black mold which is also known as toxic mold, if inhaled, is believed to affect your health significantly because of the mycotoxins it releases.
What are mycotoxins?
Mycotoxins are substances that are naturally produced by molds. Some researches suggest that mycotoxins from S. chartarum may cause serious health concerns to people who are constantly exposed to molds known as mycotoxicosis or mold poisoning. Here are the following signs to watch for if you’re experiencing mold poisoning:
Aches and pains
If you notice having joint pains and muscle aches or stiffness in the morning, you’re probably suffering one of the effects of mold poisoning. This is due to exposure to high amounts of mold present in your home for prolonged periods, resulting in toxins in the body. Consult a healthcare professional immediately to treat your symptom. It’s also a good idea to call a mold removal expert to prevent this from happening again.
Allergy and irritation
If you have a history of allergies, you can be more sensitive to mold than others. Allergies or irritation may present as runny or blocked nose, watery and red eyes, itchy skin, dry cough, and even asthma attacks. If you experience frequent allergies or any irritation, you’re probably experiencing signs of mold poisoning.
Changes in mood
Molds can also cause long-term effects like difficulty sleeping, trouble concentrating, frequent anxiety attacks, or a depressed and confused state. Mood changes happen when you’re in a home with mold overgrowth that is taken for granted. Hence immediate action to eliminate molds should be done as soon as possible.
Headaches and memory loss
If you’re exposed to a home with mold growth for a longer time, you may experience frequent and persistent headaches despite taking pain relievers. This is because mold spores are inhaled, and this causes your immune system to weaken, which can, in turn, affect your sinuses.
Moreover, memory loss is considered as a long-term effect of prolonged exposure to mold. Hence, immediate action should be done to address these issues by calling a professional for mold removal to lessen your exposure to these hazardous effects.
Are you looking for Mold Removal Services in Madison, Wisconsin? Call Madison Mold Removal Experts today!
Are you looking for mold removal experts in Madison, Wisconsin? Madison Mold Removal Experts will visit your home and thoroughly inspect it to check for sources of mold build-up. We also provide services such as mold inspection, mold remediation, water damage, and waterproofing. Call us at (608) 373-2522!